The use of information and communication technologies, and the interconnection of all stakeholders in the healthcare sector, creates new opportunities to improve the quality of medical services and make them more efficient. In addition to the multiple economic and medical challenges, networked healthcare systems also make high demands on security and data protection.
Fraunhofer SIT can look back on extensive experience in the development of smart card based IT infrastructures for the healthcare industry. Among other things, the Institute was involved in all of the most important pilot projects preceding the introduction of the German Ministry of Health's electronic health card (bIT4health, solution architecture for electronic health card applications) and self-management program (protego.net planning project).
In particular, SIT offers the following eHealth services:
- Technical advice for card manufacturers, card publishers, application developers, and end users of the electronic health card and the health professional card
- Consulting on smart card technologies and cryptographic protocols
- Specification of card interfaces and applications
- Development support based on the specifications used in the telematics infrastructure
- Development and evaluation of, and consulting for, eHealth applications and secure online services
- Development and evaluation of security and data protection concepts
- Consulting, feasibility studies and requirements analyses linked to the integration of security technologies
- Security tests of products, components, and services (optionally with the Fraunhofer security certificate)
- Solutions for long-time archival of digitally signed documents that preserve their evidentiary force (ArchiSoft) as well as browser based applications for electronic signatures