JAB Code is a project of the FhS Institute for Secure Information Technology.
As the party responsible for the data processing (controller), we process the personal data collected via our website and store them for the period, which is required to achieve the specified purpose and to comply with the statutory requirements. The following text informs you of the data we collect and the way we process the collected data. We also inform you on your data privacy rights as they pertain to the use of our website.
Pursuant to Article 4 No. 1 GDPR, personal data are all data referring to a specific or identifiable natural person.
1. Scope of this Agreement
This data protection information shall apply to the project website located at www.jabcode.org providing we refer to this data protection information.
2. Name and contact information of the person who signs responsible for the data processing (controller) and of the society’s data protection officer
This data protection information shall apply to the processing of data on our institute’s website www.sit.fraunhofer.de by the controller, the:
Fraunhofer Society for the Advancement of Applied Research
Fraunhofer Gesellschaft zur Förderung der angewandten Forschung e.V.
Hansastrasse 27 c
D-80686 München (Munich, Germany)
On behalf of your Fraunhofer Institute for Secure Information Technology (in the following referred to as ‘Fraunhofer SIT’)
Telephone: +49 6151 869-100
Fax: +49 6151 869-224
You can reach the data protection representative of the Fraunhofer Institute at the above address c/o Data Protection Officer or at email@example.com.
Please feel free to contact the data protection officer directly at any time with your questions concerning your data protection rights and/or your rights as affected person.
3. Processing of Personal Data and Purposes of the Data Processing
a) During Your Website Visit
You have the choice to access our website without revealing your identity. In this case, the active browser on your computing device sends nothing but the automatic information about itself to the server of our website to enable the connection. This includes the browser type and version and the date and time of access. Included in the transmitted data is also the IP address of your device. Our server stores this IP address in a log file and deletes it automatically after four (4) weeks.
We process the IP address for technical and administrative purposes when we establish a stable connection between your device and our server. This ensures the security and functional reliability of our website. In the event an attacker tries to harm our system, the stored data allow us to trace the illegitimate activity.
The legal foundation for processing the IP address is Article 6 para. 1. lit. f GDPR. We have legitimate interests in maintaining the security of our website and in providing trouble-free website services as outlined above.
Processing the IP address of the requesting device in our log file does not allow us to draw direct conclusions on the identity of the website visitor.
b) Using Contact Forms
We offer you the opportunity to communicate with us via a form on our website. Sending us this form requires entering the following required information:
- First name and last name and
- your email address
We need these data to learn who sent us the enquiry and have the means to answer you.
You start the communication when you send us the filled out form. In return, we process the personal data you provided in the contact form so that we can respond to your enquiry. Therefore, the data processing is in our legitimate interest according to Article 6 para. 1, page 1, lit f GDPR.
At the end of our web form-based communication with you, our web application deletes the no longer needed collected data.
c) Using JAB-Code
JAB Code enables you to encode your data with the JAB Code Generator and decode a JAB code with the JAB Code Decoder. The data you use as a basis for generating or decoding will solely be processed on your own computer and will not be sent to any server. Fraunhofer SIT never stores the data you enter into the JAB code generator and decoder.
However, the original data you insert into the JAB code generator is part of the JAB code you created, so whomever you send your JAB Code will be able to decode and see the data you used for creating the specific code.
4. Transfer of Personal Data to Third Parties
We transfer your personal data to third parties only under the following circumstances:
- You have consented to the transfer explicitly as prescribed in Article 6 para. 1, page 1, lit. a GDPR
- We entered into a contract with you, and the transfer is necessary to execute the contract as prescribed in Article 6 para. 1, page 1, lit b GDPR
- According to Article 6 para. 1, page 1, lit. c GDPR and according to applicable law, we are obligated to transfer the data to a specific third party.
The third party/third parties shall use the transferred data for the specified purpose exclusively.
The transmission/transfer of personal data to a country outside the EU or to an international organisation is prohibited.
Cookies contain information pertaining to the specific device, which accessed our website. However, this does not give us direct knowledge of your identity.
We also use temporary cookies to optimise the user-friendliness of our website. Your device stores these cookies temporarily for a specific time. The next time you visit our website, our server recognises your device as prior visitor and remembers your settings and preferences. You will not have to enter these parameters again.
The data obtained with the help of cookies serve our legitimate interests and the legitimate interests of third parties according to Article 6 para. 1, page 1 lit. f GDPR.
Most browsers accept cookies automatically. However, you are able to configure your browser in such a way that the application does not store cookies on your computer or always shows an alert before storing new cookies. However, the complete exclusion of cookies may prevent you from using all functions on our website.
6. Your Rights as Affected Person
You have the following rights:
- According to Article 7 para. 3 GDPR, you have the right to revoke any consent declaration at any time, which you may have given to us before. This has the consequence that we are no longer privileged to continue the respective activity.
- According to Article 15 GDPR, you have the right to demand information on your personal data, which we have processed. In particular, you have the right to information on the following:
- Purposes of the data processing
- The categories of personal data
- The categories of recipients to which we transmitted/disclosed or will transmit your data
- The planned storage periods of data
- The existence of the right to correction, deletion, restriction of processing and objection
- The right to appeal
- The right to know the origin of data in the event that we did not collect these data
- The right to meaningful and detailed information on the existence on automated decision-making including profiling
- According to Article 16 GDPR, you have the right to the correction of incorrect and/or the completion of incomplete personal data in storage at the Fraunhofer Society
- According to Article 17 GDPR, you have the right to the deletion of your personal data providing the deletion does not interfere with the execution of the right to the free expression of opinions and with the compliance with legal obligations, providing the deletion is not against public interest and providing the deletion does not hamper the enforcement, execution or defence of legal claims
- According to Article 18 GDPR, you have the right to restrict the processing of your personal data if you contest or challenge the accuracy of these data, the processing of the data is illegal but you reject the deletion of these data and we no longer need the data while you still need the data to enforce, execute or defend legal claims or you have raised an objection against the data processing according to Article 21 GDPR
- According to Article 20 GDPR, you have the right to receive the personal data you provided to us in a structured, well-established and machine-readable format or to demand the transmission to another authority and
- According to Article 77 GDPR, you have the right to complain to a superior authority. As a rule, you may find such authority at your place of residence, your workplace or our company domicile.
You have the right to object at any time against the processing of your personal data, based on Article 6 para. 1, lit. f GDPR (data processing in the public interest) and Article 6, para. 1, lit. e GDPR (data processing based on fair balancing) for reasons, which arise from your specific situation. This shall also apply to the profiling as prescribed by Article 4 No. 4 GDPR, which is supported by this provision.
Once you file an objection, we will no longer process your personal data unless we can establish compelling evidence, which is worthy of protection and outweighs your interests, rights and privileges, or unless the processing serves the enforcement, exercise or defence of legal claims.
To the extent that your objection addresses the processing of data for direct advertising, we will stop the processing immediately. In this case, citing a special situation is not required. This shall also apply to profiling in as far as it does not relate to such direct advertising.
If you like to claim your right to object, an email to firstname.lastname@example.org will suffice.
We transmit all your personal data using the generally used and secure encryption standard TLS (Transport Layer Security). The TLS protocol is a proven and secure standard. Bankers use the standard for online banking transactions. You recognise a secure TLS connection by the s following the http (https://...) in your browser URL or by the lock symbol in the lower section of your browser.
By the way, we use suitable technical and organisational safety procedures to protect your data against inadvertent or wilful manipulation, partial or complete loss, destruction or against the unauthorised access by third parties. We constantly improve these security measures as the technology advances.
This data protection information as amended on May 2018 is currently applicable.
Due to improvements of our website and website offers or based on statutory or government standard, it may become necessary to amend this data protection information. You find the latest applicable data protection information by clicking the link on this website:
You may read or print this updated and amended version at any time.
Should individual provisions of this data protection declaration be or become invalid either in part or in its entirety or prove infeasible at any time, this shall not affect the remaining provisions of this data protection declaration. This shall apply accordingly to gaps in this declaration.